Travel and Grants


Through generous contributions from our sponsors, we are pleased to offer symposium attendees the opportunity to apply for a symposium grant.

While anyone registered for the symposium may apply for a grant, we prioritize recipients by a combination of factors that include but are not limited to distance traveled, teacher access to professional development funds, school district policy regarding substitute pay, whether the applicant is a new or returning symposium attendee, and the date of application. Up to 20 symposium grants may be awarded.

The deadline to apply for a 2017 grant is Friday, October 20, 2017. All recipients must attend the symposium in order to qualify for a travel grant; grants will be processed after the symposium ends on October 20, 2017. Recipients of travel grants will receive a check from the University of Mississippi via postal service between November 15 and December 15, 2017. Graduate students are eligible to apply.

Questions regarding travel grants should be sent to; phone call inquiries should be directed to 662-915-2121.

Apply for a Grant


The 2017 Transitioning to College Writing Symposium will be held at the Jackson Avenue Center (JAC), which is now part of the Oxford campus of the University of Mississippi.


We have reserved a block of hotel rooms at the Inn at Ole Miss. To reserve your room, please call (662) 234-2331 and mention Transitioning to College Writing. You have until September 19, 2017 to reserve your room at the special rate of $104/night for standard accommodations (single King or two Queen) and $110 for deluxe accommodations (King or 2 Double).

Oxford has a number of other hotels. To see a full list, please visit the Lodging page from Visit Oxford.


Please indicate on the registration form if you plan to park at the JAC. Parking passes are included in the registration fee and will be available for pickup from the registration table in the main lobby of the JAC (on Jackson Avenue). We must purchase them in advance, however, so be sure to let us know via your registration form if you will need a parking pass.